Explore St. Stephen's Basilica, one of Budapest’s highlights, known for its monumental dome and beautiful Neo-Renaissance architecture. Find a perfect spot to admire the lavishly decorated exterior and discover its history on a guided tour inside the church.
Meet your tour guide in front of the ticket office and start your guided tour to explore St. Stephen's Basilica. Discover its rich gold interior, many frescoes, and sculptures made by the renowned artists of the late 19th century.
See the Holy Right, the naturally mummified right hand of the first Hungarian king, Saint Stephen, who ruled the country in the 11th century and converted Hungarians to Christianity. Learn about the 1,000-year-old Christian history of this nation.
Choose the extended tour option or the private guided tour option to get to the top of the building. Take an elevator to the panoramic terrace around the dome, a lookout point above Budapest. Enjoy a 360-degree view of the whole city.
Climb a few steps inside the Southern Tower and explore the Treasury and Basilica exhibition. See several liturgical objects and artworks, including a replica of the crown worn by the kings of Hungary.
Learn about the history of the building and about Cardinal Mindszenty, the Catholic church leader of the 1950s and 1960s who was tortured and imprisoned by the Communist regime.
• Sleeveless shirts
Know before you go
• The church is closed on some special occasions like wedding ceremonies
• Please wear clothes appropriate for a church (no sleeveless tops, short skirts or shorts); men should uncover their heads
• It is forbidden to eat, drink, or smoke in the church area
• To reach the dome panorama terrace there are 2 elevators: a bigger one in the lower part and a smaller one in the upper part of the building; instead of using the second smaller elevator you may climb about 200 steps to reach the top of the dome, in case there are too many people waiting for the elevator
• Make sure to check the option descriptions to see which tours are limited mobility and wheelchair accessible.
Not suitable for
• Wheelchair users
• Skip-the-line entry to the Basilica
• Guided tour of the church
• Entry to the panoramic terrace and treasury (if the extended tour option selected)
• Guided tour of the panoramic terrace and treasury (if the private tour option selected)
• St. Stephen's Basilica
Budapest, Szent István tér 2, 1051 Hungary