Jewish Ghetto Walking Tour and Synagogue Tour Option
Take a leisurely stroll in a small group to see landmarks to deepen your understanding of Venice's Jewish history. Choose to enhance your experience by joining the Synagogues tour organized by the Jewish Museum.
Begin your Jewish Ghetto tour in the Cannaregio district, a fascinating residential area in the city's northern part. Walk past artisan workshops, galleries, shops, and delis, best explored at a relaxed pace.
Next, cross the bridge into Campo del Ghetto Nuovo (New Ghetto Square), which was founded as a fortified island in 1516. Learn about the confinement of Venetian Jews to the island and how it became densely populated.
Then, learn from your guide as they point out to one of the most significant highlights of the tour: a series of bas-reliefs in the Campo del Ghetto Nuovo — a sight that most visitors to Venice never see.
Next, discover how Napoleon's decision to tear down the gates of the Jewish Ghetto gave Jews the right to live anywhere in Venice. Visit a hub of Jewish culture with bakeries, restaurants, and handicraft stores.
Finally, in the second half of the tour, you can choose to include the Synagogues tour. Although the Museum itself is under restoration and closed for visits, you can still visit the Levantine Synagogue and the Spanish Synagogues with their dedicated guides.
Important to know:
• Jewish Museum is under restoration and is closed for visits
• Inside visit to the Synagogues is only included if you choose the correct option
• The synagogue tour is an extra hour at 1:00 PM after the ghetto walk from 10:00 AM — 12:00 PM
• The Synagogue tour is delivered by the Jewish Museum
• If you choose the option with the synagogue tour, your guide will provide the synagogue tickets.
• If you choose the Synagogue option: Both men and women must wear clothing that covers the belly, shoulders, and knees
• Please note that carrying any type of weapon or sharp objects, such as a knife, is not allowed for this tour
Not suitable for:
• Wheelchair users
• People with mobility impairments
in a mini-group
• Jewish Ghetto walking tour
• Tour of the Synagogue (if option selected)
• Transportation to/from attractions
• Interior visit to the Jewish Museum
• Levantine Synagogue on Fridays
• Jewish Ghetto