What to expect:
Delve deep into Venice’s history with a 3-hour guided tour of St. Mark’s Basilica and the Doge's Palace, either as a private tour or shared group experience. Take in two of the city’s most important landmarks while discovering the history of the one-time mercantile capital of the Mediterranean.
Start by exploring St. Mark's Square with your guide before heading into the cathedral. From the first-floor terrace you’ll be able to admire views across the lagoon and see the famous bronze horses up close. Hear how they traveled all the way to Paris and back in Napoleon’s time.
St. Mark's Basilica sometimes closes to visitors without warning. If this happens, visit the Church of San Zaccaria or the Correr Museum instead, depending on availability. Take a tour of the beautifully ornate 15th-century church and its flooded crypt or learn about the art and history of Venice.
Next, you’ll use the priority entrance to reach Doge's Palace, formerly the residence of the leader of the Republic of Venice. Enjoy visiting the Chamber of the Great Council and courtrooms among other things. Highlights include frescoes by Tintoretto and the Giants’ Staircase.
After this, cross the infamous Bridge of Sighs that links to the New Prisons. Learn how the bridge got its name and the purpose for its construction in the 17th century as you take in the amazing views of the canals.
At the end of your tour, feel free to stay and explore the Doge’s Palace with tips from your guide.
Important to know:
• People with mobility impairments should be aware that the stairs to the upper part of the Basilica (Museum and Terrace) are steep and at times uneven
• Shared group and private options do not always offer the same languages. Please check all languages of interest to find your preferred option type
• St. Mark's Basilica is sometimes closed to visitors at short notice. If this is the case, you will visit the 15th-century Church of San Zaccaria and its crypt or the Correr Museum to learn about the art and history of Venice
• You are welcome to explore the Doge's Palace at leisure after the guided tour
• The Doge's Palace is asking visitors over 13 years old to show their passport/ID
• As St. Mark’s Basilica is a holy place, people are asked to wear clothing that covers the shoulders and knees
• Backpacks or large bags are not allowed inside St. Mark's Basilica
What to bring
• Passport or ID card
• Comfortable shoes
• Luggage or large bags
• Guided tour with expert guide
• Priority entrance to the Doge's Palace
• St. Mark's Basilica first floor and terrace access ticket
• Church of San Zaccaria and its crypt entry or Correr Museum entry (if St. Mark's Basilica is closed)
See the calendar
• The Doge's Palace
• St. Mark's Basilica
S. Marco, Riva degli Schiavoni, 30124 Venezia VE