Escape the crowds of central Venice and catch a glimpse of what life in the city used to be like, as an island of artisans famous for their traditional craft skills, passed down from generation to generation.
Your guide will keep you entertained on the short boat ride to the small island of Murano, famous for its glass making traditions. Find out the facinating story of Murano glassblowers and how their skills were so valued they were banned from leaving Venice on the threat of execution.
Watch a craftsman in action and listen to a description of the process in English. Learn how silica sand becomes glass, and how the glass is given color. Afterwards, there will be time to browse the huge collection of glass art, and wander the island on your own.
Cruise to the tiny island of Burano to see the brightly-painted houses huddled tightly together along streets and canals. Uncover Burano’s centuries-old lacemaking tradition as you visit a building where women still partake in this tradition of stitching lace.
Your guide will explain the process of this dying art. Then, you can follow in the footsteps of Michelangelo and pick out your own keepsake. Or, wander the winding streets, sampling delicious cookies at local bakeries.
Unlike other tours, this excursion intentionally omits Torcello to provide you with more time on Murano and Burano, and with less time on the boat or trekking inland.
Important to know
• Government-imposed COVID restrictions for entering countries and venues (e.g. booster shot, negative COVID test, vaccine certificate with a QR code) may change at short notice
• It is the responsibility of all visitors to ensure they check the official travel advice on the government websites and comply with local requirements. The local partner will not be held responsible for refused access to museums and tourist attractions and no refund will be due
• You can choose between a shared or private experience
• Clients must arrive at the designated meeting point and present their tour voucher to the tour coordinator/guide. Late arrivals will not be able to catch up with the group and no refunds will be given for those who arrive after the departure time
in a mini-group
• Glassmaking demonstration at a Murano factory, with commentary in English
• Lacemaking demonstration at a shop in Burano, with commentary in English
• Discount at the glass blowing and lace-making venues where the demonstrations are held (10% or more, depending on the item)
• Headsets where necessary
• Round-trip boat transportation
• Hotel pick-up and drop off
• Murano and Burano in the Venice lagoon
• Murano glass factory
Riva degli Schiavoni, 4182, 30122 Venezia VE